Sunday, August 29, 2010

Timely hot chili sauce with garlic


Seeking new ways to enjoy my crop of Shipkas (Bulgarian carrot) peppers I tried out a recipe for hot chili sauce recently published in the NY Times by Melissa Clark. The chief difference is my choice of peppers and a few extra garlic cloves.
  • 4 hot peppers (Shipkas)
  • 2 red bell peppers
  • 7 garlic cloves
  • 3/4 cup of distilled white vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
Roughly chop the peppers and garlic and combine with the other ingredients in small pot over medium heat.
Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the peppers are soft.
Puree in a blender and cool.
Refrigerate for 3 days before use - it will keep for several weeks.

I'll report back once I've used it - it does look a lot like the Tuong Ot Toi Vietnam chili garlic sauce I use for marinades and on rice and fish cakes, etc.


The cooled-down chili sauce ready for the refrigerator alongside some remaining shipkas peppers (I have plans for them).

No comments: